Here are five facts about her.
- When she was one year old, her parents' huge estate in the Western Ukraine was confiscated by the Bolsheviks, and she had to move to the north of Russia. The estate still exists, and now there is an orphanage there.
- When she was in her twenties, she was an ardent skydiver. Because of this, her photo in a skydiver's outfit was published on Ogonyok magazine's cover. She kept it for many years.
- When she was about 50, she was diagnosed with cancer. However, she battled it with an incredible supply of emotional, physical and spiritual strength, and lived up to 86.
- When I was 5 years old and was in hospital, she came to visit me. The nurse recognized her immediately, although she hadn't seen her before. She said: "Your grandson is a spitting image of you".
- The Caprice album Songs of Innocence and Experience is dedicated to her.
Happy Birthday in heaven, Granny!